After graduating from the University of the Witwatersrand, Melvin Naidu articled at one of South Africa's premier full service law firms, It was here that he was able to gain training in the fields of conveyancing, commercial and civil litigation and had the opportunity of assisting some of the country's most experienced litigators in the following types of matters:
- High level debt recovery;
- Large scale liquidations on behalf of major financial institutions; and
- Defence work for the Road Accident Fund.
During the course of his work, Melvin became increasingly interested in the field of International Economic Law and the manner in which foreign investment could be used to assist South Africa develop its infrastructure.
Upon completion of his articles he began a specialised Master's in International Economic Law, one of his primary areas of interest. He has to date successfully gained knowledge and experience in the fields of International Trade Law and the Law on Foreign Investment.
Melvin’s primary practice areas are
COMMERCIAL LITIGATION AND ALTERNATE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- High Level Debt Recovery (amounts in excess of R500,000.00)
- Institution and defence of claims against Insurance Companies and Financial Institutions
- Instituting and defending claims as a result of breach of contract
- Defending and instituting actions in respect of commercial fraud
- Instituting and defending property related disputes
- Utilising alternate dispute resolution mechanisms in respect of cross border disputes
- Instituting and defending proceedings against members, shareholders and directors of companies, including advising on the defence of hostile takeover proceedings of Close Corporations.
POLITICAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE MATTERS
- Removal of a president of a political party and defence of proceedings to reinstate member;
- Liasing with the Speaker of Parliament, Senior Parliamentary Legal Advisors and members of the Independent Electoral Committee
- Redrafting Constitutions of Political Party
CORPORATE STRUCTURING AND COMMERCIAL ADVISORY
- Preparing legal opinions to local ands international commercial entitiess in respect of the Companies Act No. 71 of 2008; 63 of 1973; Close Corporations Act 69 of 1984; the Convention on the International Sale of Goods and Services and the international lex mercatoria.
- Regulating cross border negotiations and acquisition, including the recent acquisition of a South African Company based subsidiary company by a Indian based holding company and creditor.
- Acquisition of companies where the proposed deals are upwards of R100 million;
- Redrafting constitution documents of companies to ensure compliance with the Companies Act of 2008;
Prashanta Richen obtained her Bachelor of Laws degree at the University of the Witwatersrand.
She spent her formative employment years gaining a wealth of experience and expertise in various fields of law specialising in: Road Accident Fund; Criminal Law; Delictual Law; Matrimonial Law and Consumer Law.
She developed particular expertise in the establishment of legal departments; contract management; legal process management; legal contact centre compliance; human resources compliance; skills development and litigation.
Prashanta’s primary practice areas are:
- Advising clients on the different marital regimes;
- Drafting antenuptial agreements;
- Instituting and defending divorce actions;
- Negotiating settlements between the Plaintiff and Defendant;
- Preparing bundles of documents for consideration by the Family Advocate;
- Appearing in the Regional Court to move divorce action;
Contact, Care, Guardianship
- Drafting applications for access to the minor child;
- Mediating between parties to resolve any disputes pertaining to the child or children;
- Drafting applications for sole guardianship where one parent has abandoned the minor child;
- Attending court to argue applications;
- Preparing documentation on behalf of client for the maintenance court;
- Appearing in the Family Court to defend maintenance applications brought against clients;
- Mediating between parties in maintenance applications;
- Instituting and defending proceedings in the domestic violence court;
- Drafting a Last Will and Testament;
- Drafting a Living Will;
- Bail Applications;
- Drafting representations to have charges withdrawn;
- Drafting representations to motivate a diversion program;
- Running criminal trials;
- Instituting claims against the Minister of Safety and Security for wrong arrest and imprisonment;
- Instituting claims on behalf of clients for damages where the quantum exceeds R250 000.00;
- Breach of contract claims- enforcing agreements and/or cancelling agreements and claiming damages as a result thereof;
- High level debt recovery- where amounts claimed are in excess of R500 000;
CONSUMER CREDIT REHABILITATION
- Investigating adverse listings on consumer credit profiles;
- Disputing adverse listings on behalf of consumers with the prominent credit bureaus, by confirming that credit providers have complied with the National Credit Act 34 of 2005;
- Rescission of judgments and removal of same from consumers credit profiles;
- Rescission of administration orders;
- Assisting consumers with lodging complaints with the Credit Ombudsman and the National Credit Regulator;
Contact Prashanta directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nivashini Naidoo is Sole Practitioner at Nivashini Naidoo Attorneys. She graduated with a LLB and LLM from the University of the Witwatersrand. Nivashini has been in practice since 2010. She has experience in: High Court & Magistrates Court Litigation; Administration of Deceased Estates; Company Law; Privacy Law; Commercial contract drafting; Family Law & Divorce.
Nivashini has worked on a number of matters within the ICT sector relating to Privacy Law. She currently sits on the board of Directors at Vortex Technologies (Pty) Ltd as head of the Legal and Corporate Compliance Department. Furthermore, she is a Member of the Information Security Group of Africa (Privacy Special Interest Group).
Nivashini Naidoo’s clientele ranges from individuals to I.T Companies and sporting clubs. The work undertaken for this clientele are agreements, opinions, litigation and corporate and commercial aspects and compliance.